The Flame Queen by Dax Munro {Book Review}

Title: The Flame Queen

Author: Dax Munro

Series: The Legends of Peradon #1

Age: Young Adult

Genres: Fantasy

Publication Date: January 15, 2019

Publisher: Munro Tales

Source: eBook

Purchase: Paperback | Kindle | B&N | Kobo | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
One woman will take back her freedom. And rise.

Violetta will never forget that day. Guilt shadows her every step as she prepares to take her father’s throne. Sadly, he has other ideas. Violetta must marry or forfeit her royal birthright, but all she wants is to be free, to no longer relive the tragic events of her past. If only she can learn to love again, to put the past behind her and begin anew.

Enter Emperor Ryore Frost. Handsome. Swave. And her sworn enemy.
As Violetta feels new emotions stirring within, she finds herself inexplicably drawn to this mysterious man. Could she risk marrying her mortal enemy if it meant a chance at securing her freedom?

Four Magical Realms.
One troubled Princess.

One love-starved Emperor.
And a trio of assassins, lying in wait. 

My Rating: 

My Thoughts:
Giving this a 3☆ rating. I'm not sure how to express my feelings even after a day. The writing was for one great. I had no problems reading and flowing with the story. It all seemed to flow really well. The characters were all complex and intriguing. The magic system was pretty good and the world building was as well.

I enjoyed Princess Violetta a bit more than I thought I would. She was a bit sassy and didn't want to live the typical life of a princess. She wanted freedom and choices. I liked how she tried hard to stand up for herself and also her strength in dealing with her losses. She was definitely powerful. I would have loved to see more of her magic.

Emperor Ryore Frost seemed like a nice guy until thing went terribly wrong. He pissed me off toward the end so much. He was arrogant, prideful and annoying. He definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The romance started off well between the two until things went terribly wrong after their marriage. I couldn't understand how crazy Ryore got over the throne. When he should have been loving his wife he turned into an ass. I couldn't stand their relationship whatsoever. It was a big mistake from the very beginning.

Prince Arlas was just a prince stuck in the trap that Emperor Jugan, Ryore's dad, set. I felt so bad for him in the beginning. However, I hated him towards the end. Reiza was a powerful seer that was obsessed with Ryore. She just was a woman scorned. Prince Fadius was a sad excuse. He was the brother of Ryore and second in line for the throne should something happen. I couldn't stand his pettiness or his romance.

These three characters played their roles well, but they also made me so irritated.

It's a good fantasy read with major family drama. Do I recommend? Yes, give it a try, you might just like it.

Have you read this book?