Book Review | The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Title: The Cruel Prince

Author: Holly Black

Series: The Folk of the Air #1

Age: Young Adult

Genres: Fantasy

Publication Date: January 2, 2018

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Source: eBook

Purchase: Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle | Audible | B&N | Kobo | Play Store | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
Of course I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.

My Rating: 

Quote(s) I Like:
"They are the progeny of my wife and, thus, my responsibility. I may be cruel, a monster, and a murderer, but I do not shirk my responsibilities. Nor should you shirk yours as the eldest." - Madoc

"Faeries make up for their inability to lie with a panoply of deceptions and cruelties. Twisted words, pranks, omissions, riddles, scandals, not to mention their revenges upon one another for ancient, half-remembered slights." - Jude

"What they don't realize is this: Yes, they frighten me, but I have always been scared, since the day I got here. I was raised by the man who murdered my parents, reared in a land of monsters. I live with that fear, let it settle into my bones, and ignore it. If I didn't pretend not to be scared, I would hide under my owl-down coverlets in Madoc's estate forever." - Jude

"There's always something left to lose." - Vivi

"Nice things don't happen in storybooks or when they do happen, something bad happens next. Because otherwise the story would be boring and no one would read it." - Taryn

"Instead of being afraid, I will become something to fear. If Dain isn't going to give me power, then I am going to take it for myself." - Jude

My Thoughts:
Holy sugar!!!! The FEELSSSS.....

This was my first Holly Black novel and I DEFINITELY will be reading all the other books I have of hers. This was insanely beautiful. The world, the characters, the politics -- it was all so phenomenal. This is full of blood, betrayal, secrets and lies. Every turn of the page another plot twist is thrown. I thought I could predict what would happen next, but I never could. Holly Black did an OUTSTANDING job with this novel.

Jude is the youngest of her two sisters. She seemed to be the daughter that followed through and did what she was supposed to in order to survive. I loved everything about her from the beginning to the end. She is witty, strategic and knows how to hold her own. I loved seeing her stand up to the fae and how she was able to live in a world that hated her. Her plans, thoughts and schemes were so damn good. I am excited to see how things pan out for her in the sequel.

Taryn is the oldest twin and middle child. She's the girl that just wants to fit in. I never cared for her, but towards the end I outright despised her. I can't believe how she played herself a fool and betrayed her sister. She is annoying...like a fly.

Vivi is the oldest sister and half fairy. She hated her father and did everything in her power to annoy him. She wanted no parts of the fae and always sought solace in the mortal world. I loved that she was bisexual -- thought that added a bit of diversity to the story. I love Vivi.

Madoc is the High King's general, but he's also a bloodthirsty fae. I don't know whether to hate him or simply dislike him. I mean, that prologue and those last few chapters have me hating him to the core, but throughout the story he was such a doting and loving father to Vivi, Taryn and Jude. I don't know about him...I hope to see him less maniacal in the next book.

Prince Cardan seemed like an evil bastard at first, but as the story progressed onward I learned so much about him and began to love him. He may have twisted tendencies, but I do adore him of all the male characters in the story. He is a prince that doesn't want to rule and treats people as he does because he wants love. I love him!

Locke seemed like a cool guy until things began to unravel toward the end. I hate him! I think he is more twisted than Prince Cardan with how he plays with women's hearts. Prince Dain disappointed me. I had so much hope for him of all the other princes. Until things were revealed about him and my heart broke. How could he?! Prince Balekin is an asshole. He is definitely a twisted one with the things he did to Cardan, but I mean -- that scene at the coronation...it tore me to shreds.

The romance was well written. Though there were two love interests in this story, they both were different from one another. Though I thought the first romance was adorable and unexpected. I swooned for the expected second romance. I hope that romance brews over the course of the next book.

The politics and family secrets in this story really made this a fun, interesting and action packed read. I loved seeing how the families interacting and devised schemes against one another. The ones you thought were good were bad. The ones you thought were bad were good. Innocent people were killed...I just can't!!!

That ending...ahhhhhhhhh...I just need for them two to fall in love! I need The Wicked King to come out NOW!

Final words: Oak is stinking adorable!!

Have you read this book?