Book Review | Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Title: Strange the Dreamer

Author: Laini Taylor

Series: Strange the Dreamer #1

Age: Young Adult

Genres: Fantasy, Romance

Publication Date: March 28, 2017

Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton

Source: eBook

Purchase: Kindle | Hardcover | Paperback | B&N | Kobo | Play Store | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around - and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he's been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance to lose his dream forever.

What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?

The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries - including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo's dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? And if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?

In this sweeping and breathtaking new novel by National Book Award finalist Laini Taylor, author of the New York Times bestselling Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy, the shadow of the past is as real as the ghosts who haunt the citadel of murdered gods. Fall into a mythical world of dread and wonder, moths and nightmares, love and carnage.

My Rating: 

Quote(s) I Like:
"Forbid a man something an he craves it like his soul's salvation, all the more so when that something is the source of incomparable riches." - Lazlo Strange

"Life won't just happen to you, boy. You have to happen to it. Remember: The spirit grows sluggish when you neglect the passions." - Master Hyrrokkin

"And that's how you go on. You lay laughter over the dark parts. The more dark parts, the more you have to laugh. With defiance, with abandon, with hysteria, any way you can." - Sarai

My Thoughts:
It has taken me three days to gather my thoughts. This is definitely a 3.5☆ rating for me. I am a huge fan of Laini Taylor's work because she always grips me into her stories. Her writing is phenomenal with the world, descriptions and characters. If I could rate this story alone on the writing it would be a definite 5☆ read. However, I could not connect with the characters and the plot wasn't something I enjoyed as much. Nonetheless, it was still a good read.

The story follows Lazlo Strange, an orphan raised by monks who was then taken as an apprentice of the library. Lazlo is a kid with a large imagination. Lazlo is a guy who desires to be more and do more in life, but having been raised to accept the least he never knew how to voice his opinion much. I did enjoy Lazlo as a character as he was always chipper about something, espeically when it came to fairytales and legends. I always felt that his passion for stories and fairytales made him special in the world, just never expected that ending.

Sarai is a godspawn -- daughter of a goddess and a godslayer. She lives her life following the orders of others, but desires to know more about the world and to use her powers for a better purpose. Sarai was a character I really felt sorry for as I feel she suffered the most. I didn't love her, but I also didn't dislike her. I felt she played the weak role for far too long, especially since she was truly powerful in her own way.

The romance was adorable and sad all at once. I loved seeing Lazlo and Sarai meet in the dream world. They definitely had an interesting connection between themselves.

Eril-Fane is known as the godslayer. I enjoyed him as he was funny and strong, but he was also a very complex man with many hidden emotions. He probably was my favorite characters out of all the others. Thyon was a major prick. He was the prince of where Lazlo lived. I couldn't stand how much of an ass he was to Lazlo. Minya is the devil's daughter. I can't believe what she did and said throughout the story, especially that damn ending...man oh man.

The world of Weep was fantastic. I loved the idea of gods, godspawn and powers. That ending was a shocker in so many way. Plot twists and confusions, but I'm interested in seeing how things play out for Lazlo and Sarai in the sequel.

Have you read this book?