Book Review | A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

Title: A Gathering of Shadows

Author: V.E. Schwab

Series: Shades of Magic #2

Age: Adult

Genres: Fantasy 

Publication Date: February 23, 2016

Publisher: Titan Books

Source: eBook

Purchase: Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle | Audible | B&N | Kobo | Play Store | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
It has been four months since a mysterious obsidian stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Prince Rhy was wounded, and since the nefarious Dane twins of White London fell, and four months since the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift--back into Black London.

Now, restless after having given up his smuggling habit, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks as she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games--an extravagant international competition of magic meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries--a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.

And while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night will reappear in the morning. But the balance of magic is ever perilous, and for one city to flourish, another London must fall.

My Rating: 

Quote(s) I Like:
"Walking away had always been easy. Not looking back was harder." - Lila Bard

"Your Majesty, you worship a thing you can neither see nor touch, whereas I worship something I engage with every moment of every day. Which is the more logical path?" - Kell

"Politics is a dance until the moment it becomes a war. And we control the music." - King Maxim

"Strength and weakness are tangled things. They look so much alike, we often confuse them, the way we confuse magic and power." - Aven Essen

"Kell. My greatest fear in life isn't dying. It's being the source of someone else's suffering. I know you feel trapped. I know I'm your cage. And I can't..." - Rhy

"Then run. The thing about freedom, Kell? It doesn't come naturally. Almost no one has it handed to them. I'm free because I fought for it. You're supposed to be the most powerful magician in all the worlds. If you don't want to be here, then go." - Lila Bard

My Thoughts:
See my review of the first book, A Darker Shade of Magic, if you haven't already.

Oh my gosh and all things beautiful!!! Why did this end like that?! That was a cliffhanger if I've ever read one before...what and why?! I cannot wait to read the last book. Oh my...so many questions and answers I need.

Kell is still as magnificent as always. I loved that he wanted to stand up for himself against the king this book. Kell is a man who wants to enjoy his life and be himself and not just an Antari of Red London. His emotions are seen more clearly and he begins to want things for himself. Seeing his struggle with how the events of the first book played out crushed me.

Lila Bard is my jellybean! I adore her and how she is. She is always on the run but I love that she finally owns up and begins to want relationships with others. She is fierce, bold and snarky. I loved seeing her come into her magic...my only question: is she an Antari or something else?

The romance between Kell and Lila kills me in a delightful way. I just love the two of them together so much. I am pinning for these two to be an item!

I absolutely loved seeing Rhys perspective in this story. With the aftermath of the first book his life is now bound to Kells. Seeing things from his view made the story more interesting. The prince feels more responsible for the events of the Black Night and suffers emotionally and mentally.

Alucard Emery was amazing! He is definitely the male version of Lila. Snarky, bold and confident. What I didn't expect of him was his upbringing...that was a shocker!

What I NEVER expected was the romance between Alucard and Prince Rhys...oh my...it tickled me to see Rhys so quiet and shy. I just loved them and I hope to see more of their romance in the final book.

White London...King Holland...Black London...whatttt?!?!? I did not see that coming at all! As much as I want to love Holland, he just continues to make dumb shxt. I am so over him.

Man...this trilogy is something I never thought I would come to love. I love the characters, the world and magic system. I adore this trilogy so far. I am ready for the third and final book!

Have you read this book?