Book Review | Clipped Wings by Helena Hunting

Title: Clipped Wings

Author: Helena Hunting

Series: Clipped Wings #1

Age: New Adult

Genres: Contemporary Romance

Publication Date: March 4, 2014 

Publisher: Gallery Books

Source: eBook

Purchase: Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Kobo | Play Store | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
An emotional love story that follows the touch-and-go relationship of Hayden and Tenley; two young people who desperately want to love and be loved but are afraid to completely let go of their pasts.

Their body art is hot. Their chemistry is even hotter.

From her dark hair sweeping below her waist to her soft, sexy curves, Tenley Page intrigues tattoo artist Hayden Stryker in a way no one else ever has…especially when she asks him to ink a gorgeous, intricate design on her back. Yet for all her beauty, there is something darkly tragic and damaged about Tenley that Hayden is everything.

Covered in ink and steel, Hayden is everything Tenley has never dared to want, awakening a desire to explore more than the art adorning his stunning body. Trapped by a past that leaves her screaming from nightmares, Tenley sees Hayden as the perfect escape. Although he has secrets too, if they both keep themselves guarded perhaps their intense physical connection will remain only that.

But nothing, not even passion, can keep them safe from their pasts…

My Rating: 

Quote(s) I Like:
"Any kind of modification, whether it's to alter physical features like cosmetic surgery, or to decorate, like piercings and tattoos, cause some degree of discomfort. But that's the point, isn't it? It'a cathartic because it's the promise of change in some form or another. My tattoos give the memory related to the art a place to exist outside of my head, on my body. At least that's my interpretation, but not everyone feels the same way I do." - Tenley

"Everyone has scars, Tenley. If we're lucky, they're only on the outside" - Hayden

My Thoughts:
This was a beautiful story without a lot of realistic problems. I loved the drama, the love and baggage that each character had. It contributed to the beauty of the story and brewing romance. The writing was very beautiful and flowed seamlessly. Helena Hunting is just phenomenal in her writing.

Tenley Page is a quiet girl with a lot of baggage. She emotionally scarred from losing her loved ones so closed herself off from love and left her hometown. She is now trying to put the pieces of her life back together, but finds it hard. Tenley is such a strong female heroine. I enjoyed seeing her lose control every now and then and step out of her comfort zone. She may have had her walls up, but she knew how to have fun when she wanted. Despite the trauma, she still lived. It seemed as if she wasn't truly living at first, but as the story progressed she opened up more. She did keep somethings hidden, but I think that added all the more to the conflict that happened towards the end of the book. Tenley is a A+ heroine character for me.

Hayden Stryker is a man of many secrets and a dark past. Just like Tenley, he too had his own baggage that haunted him and still did. His past begins to catch up with him by way of a crazy ex-fling, a demented cop and his old boss. Hayden was an awesome male character for me. He didn't have that brooding IDGAF attitude. He was truly a sweet guy. The way he is now apparently is the opposite of how he was in his past, but I love that about him because it means he matured in-spite of his past. Hayden is a very protective guy that loves hard and that was just perfect.

The romance between Tenley and Hayden was so perfect. Almost a forbidden kind of love in a sense because they had a business relationship. Things heat up between the two when Tenley wants a beautiful yet dark tattoo on her back and wants only Hayden to do it. These two truly begin to connect and unexpectedly take things to the next level -- SEX and lots of it. At first, I thought that their relationship wasn't healthy because they were having too much sex, but as the story progressed and the inner workings of their minds was revealed I felt as if they were each other redemption instead of punishment or curse. I love them two together! They fit.

Trey, Damen and Sienna are all major assholes to me. I feel like they need to each find a ditch and fall in it! They are terrible people. I don't think there is any good in their wicked, twisted hearts. Chris and Sarah seem like they could be a good couple, but I'm not sure if I like Chris or not. He seems to be part of Hayden's issues. I'm intrigued to learn more about him in the novellas. Lisa and Jamie are AWESOME! They are so damn cool. Aunt Cassie is so cool and down to earth. I love it!

That ending pissed me all the way off and has me excited for the sequel at the same time. I really hope Hayden gets Tenley back! They may have baggage, but they were pretty darn good for one another. They seemed to help one another grow.

Have you read this book?