Book Review | Cartel by Lili St. Germain

Title: Cartel

Author: Lili St. Germain

Series: Cartel #1

Age: Adult

Genres: Erotica, Dark Romance

Publication Date: February 1, 2015

Publisher: HaperCollins

Source: NetGalley

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Play Store | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
The first full length Gypsy Brothers novel from the smash hit author Lili St. Germain.

How much is a life worth?

I grew up in Colombia, the daughter of a wealthy drug lord. I lived a life of extravagance, until one day a drug run went horribly wrong and everything came crashing down around us.

I was given away. A payment for a debt. The Gypsy Brothers Motorcycle Club became my new owners, and I did everything I could to survive.

But falling in love with the man who owned me wasn't part of the plan.

My Rating: 

My Thoughts:
Let me preface this by saying this isn't for the faint. If you're not into drug lords, sex slaves, a woman being owned and/or aggressive sex this probably isn't the book for you. I, however, love a crazy romance that involves those so now we press forward to my review...

I absolutely loved and enjoyed everything about this book. The characters were all so dynamic, the bloodshed and drama was intense and the forbidden romance was amazing. I am extremely thrilled by all that could happen. Lili St. Germain did a fantastic job with this story. Cartel was filled with so much hope for the rest of the trilogy.

Mariana is a fiesty nineteen year old Colombian who's father works for a drug lord. Her fathers stupid mistakes ends up costing her life in many ways. She loses her freedom, her love and her family. She gives herself to Emilio in order to protect her mother and siblings, but she wasn't quite sure of what she was getting herself into. I loved Mariana because despite her situation she had a spark to her that never truly died. She always had a quick comeback, took the abuse Emilio dished and tried to make the best of her fucked up situation. Mariana gave me so much life and I can't wait to see how she fairs in the coming books. Especially now that she is falling in love with the enemy.

Dornan is the son of Emilio and the VP of the Gypsy Brothers. He hates his father, married to someone he doesn't care for and has a total of six boys. He's used to the craziness surrounding his father and club. He can be downright evil when he needs to be, but I loved seeing the "soft" side of him when he was around Mariana. I think Dornan, considering who his parents are, is a good guy, but he's clearly stuck in a situation. I hope he gets some balls and truly stands up to his father soon. I did love his dominant and charming side. I felt like I was falling for him myself even if I wanted to hate him.

The romance was freaking crazy as hell. In essence, you have a slave falling for her captor under crazy circumstances. Mariana and Dornan are such a strange couple. They definitely have an electric bond between the two of them that is undeniable, but at the same time Dornan is her captor. He demands things of her and makes her feel like property, but at the same time shelters and loves her. Mariana feels like an idiot for falling for him because his father just killed her boyfriend and made her his slave. I think the two of them together are amazing, but at the same time it may be their downfall. Hopefully it won't be.

Emilio is a bastard. I hate everything that he is, including his dumb lackey Murphy. He disgusts me in the way that he treats women. I know he's a drug lord and he's supposed to be evil, but what he did to Bella and the other girls was freaking insane! I'm afraid for Mariana whenever he's around her. He's ruthless, heartless, cold and he simply might be the devil himself. Everything about him creeps me the hell out, especially when he hits Mariana. He needs to die...

I am excited to dig into Kingpin to see how things work out for Mariana and Dornan. I'm hoping they can be together, but I have a feeling that Emilio will find out the truth. I'm interested what other bloodshed and abuse will take place in this gripping trilogy.

Have you read this book?