Review: The Other Side of the Pillow: A Novel

The Other Side of the Pillow: A Novel The Other Side of the Pillow: A Novel by Zane
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Received an ARC through NetGalley.

Zane is a phenomenal author. I've been into her books since high school, maybe 8th grade (yes I know I was young at the time, but I was obsessed with all types of books), so reading this was something I definitely knew I wanted to do. While most of her books are all nitty gritty about sex, this book was intense and not so wrapped up in the sex scenes.

Jemistry Daniels is a principal at a school and a bitter woman. She has been hurt time and time again from men in her life. Being used for money, abused, cursed out and much more. She vowed to only deal with men for sex and nothing more. She was a very good woman -- hardworking, loving, kind, caring and puts her all into what she does. I felt bad for her and the men she dealt with. She was bitter, but she wasn't so far gone that she couldn't find herself loving a man again. She did have her moments of being insecure, but she was able to analyze things real good.

Dr. Tevin Harris is a surgeon and he's been hurt by love before. He was married, but due to pregnancy issues in his marriage his wife couldn't bare it and divorced. He vowed to never find love again. Tevin was a bold, hot and brilliant man. He may have been hurt, but he saw something in Jemistry after hearing her poem called "Bitter" and I was amaze by how bold he was in asking her out. Tevin was the perfect guy. He never gave up on his feelings for Jemistry and never pushed her into things she wasn't ready for. He was respectful in every way.

The relationship between Jemistry and Tevin was beautifully written. They both were hurt and Jemistry was "broken" but with Tevin by her side she was able to love again. I appreciated that even though there were a few sex scenes this wasn't consumed in it. I enjoyed how it focused mainly on the intimacy of the mind, emotions and communication in a relationship rather than the sex. Just amazing.

I definitely enjoyed the whole storyline and the characters. It was a very believable relationship that I loved reading and seeing grow. Definitely never disappointed with any of Zane's reads.

View all my reviews