Book Review | The Darkest Pleasure

Title: The Darkest Pleasure

Author: Gena Showalter

Series: Lords of the Underworld #3

Age: Adult

Genres: Paranormal Romance

Publication Date: July 1st 2008 

Publisher: HQN Books

Page Numbers: 308

Format: E-Book

Source: Purchased from Amazon

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | Kobo | iBooks

Synopsis: 
Reyes is a man possessed. Bound by the demon of pain, he is forbidden to know pleasure. Yet he craves a mortal woman, Danika Ford, more than breath and will do anything to claim her--even defy the gods.Danika is on the run. For months she's eluded the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors who won't rest until she and her family have been destroyed. But her dreams are haunted by Reyes, the warrior whose searing touch she can't forget. Yet a future together could mean death to all they both hold dear....

My Rating: ★★★★★

Quotes I Like

"No, he can't. Stop stalling, and stop changing the subject. Give us the answers we want or, I swear to the gods, I'm coming up there and laying a big wet one right on your mouth. My boy is hungry and looking to feed. He thinks you'll do just fine." - Paris, keeper of Promiscuity

"Since our meeting is clearly not canceled, I'm not heading into the city, not visiting Club Destiny, and not screwing a few screams of pleasure out of a human female." - Gideon, keeper of Lies

My Thoughts

This was just another fabulous installment to the Lords of the Underworld series. I loved the romance, the action and the new characters. Simply stunning in every aspect. Nothing I didn't like about it.

Reyes, keeper of Pain, was an awesome guy. He was innocent and strong, yet had a demon that craved pain in every way. I felt bad for the things he had to go through to keep his demon happy. I mean cutting his veins, jumping off his balcony, getting shot -- simply crazy! Reyes knew how to keep him under control. I love how Reyes tried to keep his distance from Danika as best as he could but gave up when she was in danger. I love how he knew she was Bait and still loved her anyway. I love how did everything in his power to control his demon just to be with her.

Danika Ford was a very interesting character. I remember reading about her in The Darkest Kiss, but who she was just didn't make sense. Now that I know her and her bloodline are an artifact its so increasingly interesting. I didn't expect for her to be the second artifact at all, I just thought Cronus wanted her dead. Danika is a very fierce lady. She learned to kill and fight since her last encounter with the demons and she was able to hold her ground against Hunters. She was strong, determined and wanted nothing more but to find and protect her family. I love how she caved in to her feelings for Reyes, but kept trying to play them off. Too perfect.

The romance between Reyes and Danika was fabulous. I loved the love-hate relationship is started out as and then became a perfect couple like the other couples in the book. Danika and Reyes balanced each other out. There wasn't a lot of sex which I appreciated because it left for the couple to be intimate in other ways.

Cronus is an idiot! I'm starting to like how nice he is to the Lords, but at the same time I feel like he has an underlying plan. I really hope he doesn't seek to destroy them because they've seriously been helpful to him.

The Lords are just freaking hilarious and entertaining to the max! I totally enjoyed them all and the couples -- including silly old William. I love how the stories intertwine and blend seamlessly. I am so happy that Aeron, keeper of Wrath, was lifted from his curse to kill the Fords, but his new friend, the demon girl Legion is a bit scary and sickening.

Stefano is an idiot. He is a Hunter who should want to kill all demons, yet he is lead by a demon. He should be smart enough to know that Hope needs to be destroyed just as much as the other demons. Galen, the keeper of Hope, is so got damn devious in every way. He uses his demon to lead and deceive the Hunters. He turns his back on his brothers just to be ruler of all things. It's unbelievable. To find out the other demons may even be inside gods or Titians is insane.

Overall -- outstanding and I need so much more of this series in my life!

Have you read this book?