Book Review | The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter

Title: The Darkest Kiss

Author: Gena Showalter

Series: Lords of the Underworld #2

Age: Adult

Genres: Paranormal Romance

Publication Date: June 1st, 2008

Publisher: HQN Books

Page Numbers: 285

Format: E-Book

Source: Purchased on Amazon

Purchase: Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Nook | Kobo
iBooks


Synopsis: 
She has tempted many men...but never found her equal. Until now.

Though she has lived for centuries, Anya, goddess of Anarchy, has never known pleasure. Until Lucien, the incarnation of death--a warrior eternally doomed to take souls to the hereafter. He draws her like no other. And Anya will risk anything to have him.

But when the merciless Lord of the Underworld is ordered by the gods to claim Anya herself, their uncontrollable attraction becomes an anguished pursuit. Now they must defeat the unconquerable forces that control them, before their thirst for one another demands a sacrifice of love beyond imagining...

My Rating: ★★★★★


Quote(s) I Like

"Did his obedience mean he was gentle? Caring? Nurturing? No. Oh, no. He could not afford softer emotion. Love, compassion and mercy were enemies to his plight. Anger, though? Rage? Those he sometimes embraced." - Lucien

"He wanted to fuck me, and I didn't want him to. He decided to go ahead and do it, anyway, so I decided he'd look good with a hole in his chest." - Anya

"You said that already. But news flash -- yes, it does. I'm not going to bend over and take it just because new gods are running the show and they don't like how I do business. I'm not going to bend over and take it because the big cheese is greedy and wants to steal from me." - Anya

"Big fucking deal, you son of a bitch. I told you I was powerful -- not my fault you failed to listen. I'm helping fight the Hunters now and you'll be lucky if my aim doesn't accidentally-on-purpose veer and kill you. In fact, I don't think I'll wait for you. See you in the...second one over, sweetcakes. That's were the biggest, baddest Hunter was, last time I checked. I'll just pretend he's you and nail his ass to the wall." - Anya

"Like I'm going to obey you. You aren't my daddy. Unless you want to be. 'Cause I've been a bad naughty girl and I need a spanking." - Anya


My Thoughts

The Darkest Kiss is the perfect sequel to The Darkest Night. I totally enjoyed learning more about Lucien, his demon and Anya, the goddess that saved Maddox and Ashlyn. The action was there, the romance was perfection and the drama was key build up.

I totally loved this cat and mouse chase romance between Anya and Lucien. It was romantic, hilarious and even long-winded yet enjoyable. Lucien is the keeper of Death. He kills and he can take souls to hell. Lucien is a very quiet guy, he never says much and keeps to himself. One thing I loved is that he put his brothers before himself and his romance. He was ordered to do something by the new "god" Cronus and he tried everything in his power to pull through on it. I totally respected him for that. Lucien did his job and tried hard not to feel attach or have feelings, but true love always prevails.

Anya is the goddess of Anarchy. She causes chaos and destruction. She learned to cope with her power by stealing petty things to avoid the chaos she could cause. I absolutely enjoyed Anya and her sarcastic, witty remarks. She was spunky, sassy and outright rebellious in every way. Learning of her curse and her upbringing made me feel sorry for her, but I'm glad she didn't have a pity party. She hated what was before but made sure she enjoyed her life.

The way they met at the very beginning was flawless. I love how she tried to seduce him, but he wouldn't fully give in. I loved that he knew off the back who she was and how he always found her. The fight scenes were absolutely outstanding. They both did what needed to be done to ensure that either she was alive or his brothers were safe. I liked how Death was calmer around Anarchy -- it was strange, but they balanced one another out.

Cronus needs to kick rocks. He sounds like a pathetic old man with a grudge for something he can't have. I can't believe what he did to Lucien was wrong both in the matter of the curse and holding back information from him.

However, that ending was pure gold! Lucien and Anya are perfect pieces for one another.

Side note: Poor Paris -- his torture wasn't even torture. It was humorous as ever! Ashlyn & Maddox are pregnant…what?! Excited for them.

On to The Darkest Pleasure!

Have you read this book?