Book Review | Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Title: Starcrossed

Author: Josephine Angelini

Series: Starcrossed, #1

Genres: Fantasy, Paranormal Romance

Publication/Year: HarperTeen • 2011

Page Numbers: 373

Synopsis from Goodreads:
"How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.
"
My Rating★★★★★

Quote(s) I Like:
"She decided that if Lucas was gay then she was going to have to get a sex change operation. He would be so worth it." - Helen

"Just so you know? Just so we're clear. I care about you too. And if this hug is all I can have, I'd prefer it over anything else from anyone else." - Helen

My Thoughts:
Outstanding and amazing fictional read on Greek mythology and demigods. I could not stand Helen at first as a protagonist because all she did was whine, sulk and complain. I did grow to love her as the story progressed because she started to "grow into herself." Lucas is such a sweet guy...I am totally team Lucas for this book! Loved how they (Helen and Lucas) first met at school -- strange way to met and fall in love, but it was super cute and hilarious. The story developed well and the action was pretty awesome. Can't wait to read Dreamless!

- Spoiler Alert -
Where do I begin ... okay, the fight between Helen and Lucas was by far my favorite part ever! How do you meet a total stranger, hate his guts, attack him and then fall in love with him. That's is by far hilarious! 

Helen finding out she was a demigod was pretty cool because it explained all those pains she had which happened to be a curse from her mother. Finding out that her mother's name was not really Beth was crazy as hell. I know woman marry alias and what not, but damn not a picture left in sight for Helen to remember her by...so damn crazy.

Daphne, Helen's mom, trying to kidnap her and disguising herself as various people was wild. If my mother did that I'd hate her guts too. Daphne just seemed like a total b*tch to me throughout the book. A dead beat mom -- granted she did what she did to save her daughter, but at what cost?

Overall Conclusion:
I enjoyed this book and definitely recommend this to anyone into paranormal books, romance or fantasy.

Have you read this book?