Book Review | Splintered by A. G Howard

Title: Splintered

Author: A. G. Howard

Series: Splintered, #1

Genre: Fantasy

Publication & Year: Amulet Books  2013

Page Number: 371

Synopsis from Goodreads:
"This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own."
My Rating★★★★★

Quotes I Like:
"I go where Al goes, dances-with-bugs. and just so you know, if anything happens to her, I'll pin you by your wings to a corkboard and use you for dart practice." - Jeb

My Thoughts:
I fully enjoyed this book. It had romance (triangle love affair in which I loved both guys equally), action, creepiness, sadness and happiness. I enjoyed the details of every situation, location, thought and emotion. Shocked to find out that Alyssa and her family are not descendants of Alice, but of the Red Queen. Such a shocker and twist. What happened to the Red Queen? Will she resurface in book 2?

 - Spoiler Alert -
I don't know if I was more fond of Jeb or Morpheus. I mean Jeb is the sweet, sensible guy that's been there with her physically through a lot. On the other hand, Morpheus is the jerk and secretive liar with deep emotions. Both guys are in love with Alyssa and were both afraid to admit it. I'm not sure who I can back up more...the mortal or the moth? They both have great qualities that bring out the best in Alyssa.

Alison was crazy to me at first, but as the book progressed finding out that she only did it to protect her daughter showed motherly love on a huge scale. Any mother willing to be put in an Asylum to protect their child is a mother of pure love, respect and honor. Granted an Asylum is not the best place to be, but if it was for your sanity or your child's, Alison did the right thing.

I loved the idea of a creepy version of Wonderland with name changes. It definitely suited the book. I seriously did despise Morpheus for the planning everything out and not being 100% truthful with Alyssa. I mean seriously, why does he have to constantly try and find a got damn loop hole in something. It's freaking ridiculous, but kept me entertained.

Finding out that Alyssa is not the lineage of Alice, but of the Red Queen is a shocker! I can't believe how the Red Queen pretended to be Alice just to escape Wonderland. Such a devious woman she is. I loved that Jeb risked his life for Alyssa in the end and took the place of the Ivory Queen in the box. It bought me to tears to know that he loved her that much and possibly more. The ending was perfect for me -- Morpheus didn't die, Alyssa ended the curse, Jeb returned home and the Jeb and Alyssa got together. My only question ... where the hell is the Red Queen? Why did she curse Morpheus and why go after her own lineage?

I totally loved this book! Hopefully the next book is the bomb and continues with the love and drama. 

What are your thoughts?