Book Review | Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson


Title: Full Blooded

Author: Amanda Carlson

Series: Jessica McClain, #1

Genres: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal

Publication & Year: Orbit • 2012

Page Number: 345 (Paperback)

Synopsis From Goodreads:
"Born the only female in an all male race, Jessica McClain isn’t just different—she’s feared.

After living under the radar for the last twenty-six years, Jessica is thrust unexpectedly into her first change, a full ten years late. She wakes up and finds she’s in the middle of a storm. Now that she’s become the only female full-blooded werewolf in town, the supernatural world is already clamoring to take a bite out of her and her new Pack must rise up and protect her.

But not everyone is on board. The werewolf Rights of Laws is missing text and the superstitious werewolves think that Jessica means an end to their race. It doesn’t help when Jessica begins to realize she’s more. She can change partway and hold her form, and speak directly to her wolf. But the biggest complication by far is that her alpha father can't control her like he can the rest of his wolves.

When a mercenary who’s been hired by the vampires shows up to extract information about the newly turned werewolf only days after her change, they find themselves smack in the middle of a war and there's no choice but to run together. When it’s up to Jessica to negotiate her release against her father’s direct orders, she chooses to take an offer for help instead. In exchange, Jessica must now swear an oath she may end up repaying with her life
.
"
My Rating★★★★★

Quote I Like
"My wolf was not going to be denied a fight this time. She slammed against the barrier that still held, even though it was cracked, whining and barking. Be my guest. I don't think that I'm going to win this without you anyway. I focused hard to drop the wall between us. It didn't fall easily, but the small fissure that I'd made before finally ruptured under the force and our minds snapped together like a slingshot as we merged. Then all hell broke loose." - Jessica McClain

My Thoughts
Great fucking read (excuse my french)! This book was absolutely amazing and I'm completely hooked with the series now. I was never a huge werewolf fan as I love vampires the most in the supernatural world -- but golly this book has changed my views. Jessica McClain (the female protagonist) is definitely not a force to play with. She is a kick a full blooded werewolf. I enjoyed that this novel had a good mixture of Sects (vampires, Goddesses, werewolves, werecat, werefox, imps and etc). I have become hooked on to this series and plan to finish it through.

- Spoiler Alert -
 Jessica McClain's first transformation at the beginning of the novel seemed very scary. I mean she wrecked her whole damn apartment...the walls, furniture, made a bunch of noise -- I'd be scared to turn into a damn werewolf for the first time. Then she went out and initially smelled her prey (being an animal), but once she got caught she had to kill a human and it definitely wasn't pretty.

Ray, who is the detective on her case, has such a huge grudge and issue with her that anything she says or does he seems to have to find a reason why. I feel like he is going to get  himself killed or something. He truly should back off before she snaps him in half -- I'm just saying.

Her father and brother, Calum (the Alpha) and Tyler McClain, are shocked to find that she has changed along with the whole Pack. They are all nervous because she happens to be apart of the Cain Myth which makes her more powerful than any supernatural being -- including her own father. That could seriously be an issue in the future.

Her secret sexcapade with James, her father's second, was very much intriguing to me. Had me on the edge of my bed. I mean, for one James is much older than she is and two, that's her father's second. What the hell was she thinking? Granted she needed to get control of all the adrenaline in her body, but she could have went for a run instead of having sex with James. Then she fell in love with a werecat named Rourke -- completely different breed all together. He is her mate and that is shocking. I would have thought Nick, the werefox, or James would be her mate, but no a damn werecat set out to get information from her for the Vamp Queen -- such craziness!

The ending was a shocker for me -- to find that a Goddess wants Jessica dead over some man issues was hilarious! The Lunar Goddess Selene wants her ex lover Rourke back, but instead decides to kill them both. She casts a death spell on Jessica and kidnaps Rourke -- I'm curious to know how the fighting between them will go down and if Jessica will save Rourke.

Overall, a great read and I definitely plan to read the other 2 books in this series. Amanda Carlson did a great job!

Have you read this novel? What are your thoughts?