Book Review | The City of Lost Fortunes by Bryan Camp

Title: The City of Lost Fortunes

Author: Bryan Camp

Series: Crescent City #1

Age: Adult

Genres: Urban Fantasy

Publication Date: April 2, 2019

Publisher: Mariner Books

Source: Paperback

Purchase: Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle | Audible | B&N | Kobo | Play Store | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
The fate of New Orleans rests in the hands of a wayward grifter in this novel of gods, games, and monsters. 
Jude Dubuisson knows things he shouldn’t. He has the supernatural ability to find lost things, a gift passed down to him by the father he has never known—a father who was more than human. But so much was lost during Hurricane Katrina that it played havoc with Jude’s magic, leaving him overwhelmed and cursed. 
Jude has been lying low since the waters receded, hiding from his own power, his divine former employer, and a debt owed to the fortune god of New Orleans. When the fortune god is murdered, Jude is drawn back into a world full of magic, monsters, and miracles—and a deep conspiracy that threatens the city’s soul. As Jude investigates the fortune god’s death before the killer can strike again, he discovers what his talent for lost things has always been trying to show him: what it means to be his father’s son. 

My Rating: 
My Thoughts:
Giving this a 3.5 star rating. This shows some promise. This was a really good urban fantasy novel. I loved the New Orleans setting and the vibe it gave me while I was reading. This was a bit of a trippy read, but I think it added to the story as a whole. The writing was very descriptive and heavy on inner thoughts. However, I wish there was more dialogue between characters rather than thoughts.

Jude Dubuisson has the power to find lost things...it's his magic. It's been six years since he used his magic after hurricane Katrina. Jude is pulled into a game of the gods and gambles his entire being. He uses tricks to win. I thought Jude was a very interesting character. He was simple, yet over the top. He was calm, yet could blow a fuse quickly. I loved everything about him. He made me laugh with how his mind worked. He was a nice guy, but sometimes did crappy things. Jude was awesome protagonist.

The magic system within this world was subtle, but also in your face. I loved how the wove magic with beliefs and luck. I thought that was such an awesome thing to do. It was well executed.

Regal was awesome, up until she became a fool. I liked her sassiness though. She seemed like an awesome friend, but one that was also a serpent. Her story was crazy -- revealing who she truly was blew my mind.

Renai was the B E S T! She took one for the team AND was helpful to Jude. She was only human compared to the others, but she still stuck her neck out to help. Leon was a zombie with musical abilities -- what more can you ask for. Sal was another awesome addition to the squad, he was always down to help and save Jude.

The gods were all interesting. Mourning, Legba, Dodge, Cross and all the other gods were all crazy to me. I did like Dodge and Legba the most of all the gods because of their interaction with Jude. Lots of different gods with different personalities. It meshed well with the story.

I did listen to the audiobook which helped a lot with the experience. The narrator did a great job pulling me into the story and the characters.

I'm going to read the sequel this week! I'm interested in how the Voice, Will and Luck of New Orleans work together. Also if things go well for Legba and finding out who Jude's real father is.

Have you read this book?