Book Review | You by Caroline Kepnes

Title: You

Author: Caroline Kepnes

Series: You #1

Age: Adult

Genres: Thriller, Mystery, Contemporary

Publication Date: September 30, 2014

Publisher: Atria/Emily Bestler Books 

Source: Hardcover

Purchase: Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle | Audible | B&N | Kobo | Play Store | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she’ll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight—the perfect place for a “chance” meeting.

As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck’s life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck’s perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way—even if it means murder.

My Rating: 

Quote(s) I Like:
"There's no such thing as a flying cage, Joseph. The only thing crueler than a cage so small that a bird can't fly is a cage so large that a bird thinks it can fly." - Mr. Mooney

"E-mails last forever. You can search for any word at any time and see everything you ever said to anyone about that one word. Texts go away." - Joseph

My Thoughts:
Where do I even begin with this book...This is a mix of a 3.5 star rating and a DNF for me. I'll explain why...

This book was filled with humor for the first half, up until chapter 33. I enjoyed Joe and his craziness. Beck was a ball of confusion that I both enjoyed and disliked. The characters were definitely interesting and kept me entertained. My problem was that by chapter 33 I was annoyed with the same thoughts and actions of Joe. It no longer was funny with how crazy he was and how annoying Beck could be. As much as I enjoyed them both, they dragged out the book with their actions.

I skipped or rather skimmed through chapters 34-53 because I got bored with them. I did read chapter 51 as it was crucial to read. As much as I wanted to give this a 4 star rating, the stupidity of both Joe and Beck just annoyed me too much.

Would I recommend this book? Maybe. I did watch 3 episodes of the show before opting to read the book which could have been my downfall, but again by the time I got around to chapter 33 and the same thought process occurred with Joe I was over it.

Good book, I just wish there was more depth to Joe and Beck.

Have you read this book?