Book Review | Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff

Title: Stormdancer

Author: Jay Kristoff

Series: The Lotus War #1

Age: Young Adult

Genres: Fantasy, Steampunk

Publication Date: September 18, 2012 

Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books 

Source: Hardcover

Purchase: Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle | Audible 

Synopsis: 
A DYING LAND
The Shima Imperium verges on the brink of environmental collapse; an island nation once rich in tradition and myth, now decimated by clockwork industrialization and the machine-worshipers of the Lotus Guild. The skies are red as blood, the land is choked with toxic pollution, and the great spirit animals that once roamed its wilds have departed forever.

AN IMPOSSIBLE QUEST
The hunters of Shima’s imperial court are charged by their Shōgun to capture a thunder tiger – a legendary creature, half-eagle, half-tiger. But any fool knows the beasts have been extinct for more than a century, and the price of failing the Shōgun is death.

A HIDDEN GIFT 
Yukiko is a child of the Fox clan, possessed of a talent that if discovered, would see her executed by the Lotus Guild. Accompanying her father on the Shōgun’s hunt, she finds herself stranded: a young woman alone in Shima’s last wilderness, with only a furious, crippled thunder tiger for company. Even though she can hear his thoughts, even though she saved his life, all she knows for certain is he’d rather see her dead than help her.

But together, the pair will form an indomitable friendship, and rise to challenge the might of an empire.

My Rating: 

Quote(s) I Like:
"Funny how quickly mans best friend became man's next meal when there were no more cows or pigs left to slaughter." - Yukiko

"Weakness is not something most will admit to." - Yamagata

"Sometimes we don't get what we deserve. We play the cards we are dealt instead of whining about what might've been. Therein lies the difference between an adult and a child." - Marasu

"It's easy to lose yourself in the idea of a person and be blinded to their reality. It's a simple thing, to love a stranger." - Yukiko

"Just because you're standing in a crowd doesn't mean you belong there." - Kin

My Thoughts:
This has solidified Jay Kristoff as an auto-buy author for me. I was already obsessed with the Nevernight Chronicles and I've always wanted to dive into The Lotus War trilogy and I am so glad to have finally gotten into it. This was absolutely amazing! I loved the writing so much. This started off as a 4 star read because it was a lot of plot and world building, but the last few chapters just fired this book! I LOVED it!

The world-building was absolutely phenomenal. I enjoyed the whole idea of a steampunk Japanese feudal era. I loved how dark the world was and the whole lotus flower aspect. The demons (oni) and the yokai-kin was also a brilliant aspect to this story that allowed it to have a great fantasy feel.

Yukiko is a Kitsune which makes her a daughter of the fox. She was a spitfire girl. Her words were quick and harsh. She had a bit of humor. She knew how to take care of herself in the face of danger. I loved her heart for the people and animal. She made me so happy. Her heart was pure but she was handed a crap hand at life in a world that's ruled by idiots.

Buruu is so stinking amazing! I loved everything about him, especially his sense of deadly humor. He was a savage to me. I adored his growth towards Yukiko. From hatred to love. The relationship he had with her was so damn sweet. Buruu will forever be my favorite character of this trilogy! He is such a phenomenal friend and protector.

Masaru, the father of Yukiko, is known as the Black Fox. He pissed me off majority of this book because he was a shit father. However, that ending broke me and softened my heart to him. He portrayed a certain lifestyle to protect his daughter. He is a funny man and I can see where Yukiko learned her skills from. Great character of the story.

Kin is an Artificer and Hido is a guard. Both work for the Shōgun. Kin was a sweet guy, but Hido was the man! I adored both of them as characters and love interests for Yukiko.

The romance was pretty good. I was team Hido for the whole story, until my heart was ripped out towards the end of the story. Kin seemed to really have a pure love for Yukiko that surpassed his whole idea of serving the Shōgun. I am now team Kin!

Shōgun Yorimato is an evil bastard. I thought that maybe he was just a product of his upbringing, but as the story progressed his true nature began to seep through. I cannot believe how much evil is in this man. He pissed me off! He played his role very well as the ruthless leader.

I am just too excited for the sequel! I have the ebook of it, but I just need the next two books in hardcover!!! Totally recommend.

Have you read this book?