Book Review | The Vanishing Kingdom by Elizabeth May

Title: The Vanishing Kingdom

Author: Elizabeth May

Series: The Falconer #2

Age: Young Adult

Genres: Historical Fiction, Fantasy Romance, Steampunk

Publication Date: June 21, 2016

Publisher: Chronicle Books

Source: e-Book

Purchase: Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle | B&N | Kobo | Play Store | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
Everything she loved is gone.

Trapped. Aileana Kameron, the Falconer, disappeared through the fae portal she was trying to close forever. Now she wakes in an alien world of mirrors, magic, and deception—a prisoner of the evil fae Lonnrach, who has a desperate and deadly plan for his new captive.

Tortured. Time after agonizing time Lonnrach steals Aileana’s memories, searching for knowledge to save his world. Just when she’s about to lose all hope, Aileana is rescued by an unexpected ally and returns home, only to confront a terrifying truth. The city of Edinburgh is now an unrecognizable wasteland. And Aileana knows the devastation is all her fault.

Transformed. The few human survivors are living in an underground colony, in an uneasy truce with a remnant of the fae. It is a fragile alliance, but an even greater danger awaits: the human and fae worlds may disappear forever. Only Aileana can save both worlds, but in order to do so she must awaken her latent Falconer powers. And the price of doing so might be her life…

My Rating: 

Quote(s) I Like:
"Knowing isn't the same as seeing." - Aileana

"My scars are all on the outside; what I went through is bared for the world to see. Aithinne's scars are so well hidden that she fooled me. The truth is, memories weigh a great deal. Each one bends our bones a little more until the heft of them wears you down. No I know that scars go so deep that they can never fade." - Aileana

"Not to me. Your scars aren't flaws, Galloway. They're not imperfections. They're stories written on your skin. They tell the tale of how you survived. There's no shame in that.- Aileana

"It isn't weak to love someone, or to have compassion.- Aileana

"You don't need to feel it for it to be true.- Aileana (this is in-regards to being brave)

My Thoughts:
There are NOOOOO WORDS...that ending..seriously!!! Elizabeth May has such a way with dragging you into the story and then leaving your hanging by a pinky on the damn cliff!! There isn't much I can say in this review without spoiling it -- so much is revealed in this book. I loved the humor that was kept in this book and how fast paced everything moved a long.

Aileana is still kickass despite the gruesome torture she had to go through. Still on a mission to kill these faes. She struggled a lot more in this book, but learned so much about who and what she was and how powerful she could be. I mean especially that ending. No one can mess with her now.

Kiaran is still as obnoxious and handsome as ever. I'm so happy so much was revealed about him, but I feel so bad for him and his lack of choices in life. I really hope that he doesn't lose it in the conclusion of this trilogy. I truly want him to find happiness.

The romance was EVERYTHING to me. I am so damn happy they both left their feelings run wild. I am team Kam and Kia all day long. I think it's so cute how Kiaran calls Aileana Kam!!

Aithinne is soooo sweet. I adore her. Learning about who she truly was amazing. I loved her from the beginning to end. Derrick is definitely my male tinkerbell all the way. I just love him to pieces. Catherine is best friend goals. I just hope they can remain friends when she learns the truth about Aileana.

Gavin, Daniel, Tavin and the other seer were all cool with their powers though useless. I can't stand Daniel, but because of his wife I'll learn to like him. As for Gavin, I think he needs to grow a pair of balls.

Lonnrach and Sorcha seriously I hate these two baffons! I need them to die -- like seriously take a sword straight to the heart. Maybe chop off Sorcha's head while they are at it honestly. The Cailleach is an evil, twisted and broken woman. I wouldn't ever consider her mom, but I'm so thankful that her children aren't as wicked as she is. I did like that ending though. Such joy I felt.

That ending, just why oh why!!! I need to read the final book, The Fallen Kingdom, NOW!

Have you read this book?