Book Review | The Fallen Kingdom by Elizabeth May

Title: The Fallen Kingdom

Author: Elizabeth May

Series: The Falconer #3

Age: Young Adult

Genres: Historical Fiction, Fantasy Romance, Steampunk

Publication Date: June 13, 2017

Publisher: Chronicle Books

Source: eBook

Purchase: Kindle | Paperback | Hardcover | B&N | Kobo | Play Store | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
She’s on borrowed time…and she has only one chance to set things right.

Find life.

Deep in a forest, Aileana Kameron claws her way out of the earth. Back from the dead with no memory of who she is or what has happened to her, the Falconer now possesses even greater otherworldly powers and a ruthless instinct to kill—and the one piece of knowledge that can change everything.

Find Kiaran.

Two fae monarchs, Aithinne and Kadamach, stand on the brink of war, and according to an ancient curse, one must die at the hand of the other or all the worlds will perish. Once, Kadamach was known as Kiaran, and he was mentor, protector, and lover to Aileana. Now, under the grip of the curse, his better nature seems lost forever.

Find the book.

Aileana’s only hope lies in the legendary Book of Remembrance, a book of spells so powerful that it can break the fae curse and even turn back time. But the book has been lost for centuries, and many are looking for it, including its creator, the Morrigan—a faery of terrifying malevolence and cruelty.

Sacrifice everything.

To obtain the book and defeat the Morrigan, Aileana must form an unthinkable alliance, one that challenges every vow she has made to herself—even as the powers that brought her to life are slowly but surely killing her.

My Rating: 

Quote(s) I Like:
"He loved you so much that when you died, he might as well have died with you." - Derrick

"No one deserves to be under someone else's complete control, unable to fight back even if they wanted. Maybe I've grown too soft. Maybe I'm just tired of death. Maybe it's compassion that separates us from monsters. Does that make me better than them or does it make me a fool?" - Aileana

"The fae don't truly live. They simply exist." - Aileana

"Forgiveness isn't something given. It's something earned. What could I do to earn it, Aileana? Nothing. I'd make the same choices. I don't deserve forgiveness." - Sorcha

My Thoughts:
As much as I truly wanted to give this a 5 star rating. I just can't so I'll settle for 4.5 star rating. This was a beautiful ending. Not completely what I expected. Lacked a lot more action, but that ending made up for ten-fold!

Aileana is still fierce, but in this book she was a bit more brutal. This book was surrounded around her mental state. I must say I enjoyed seeing Aileana battle with herself, though I also felt like it was dragged out for this book. Aileana is a character that definitely has to be one of my favorite heroines -- in my top 15, probably even my top 10. She was strong, brilliant, brave, vulnerable and downright crazy for shouldering the world alone. I loved her.

Kiaran is now the Unseelie King with all his powers back. He's tormenting himself and battling for control. I LOVED this book because it revealed the heart of Kiaran. He may have been fae and been raised to kill humans, but he was a man with a heart. I loved his sweet words, his tenderness, his care, his honesty and how much he loved Aileana. I loved his "nickname" for her -- Kam. The romance from book 1 to book 3 was perfect.

The romance was just as perfect as the first two books with a lot more kissing involved. Kiaran and Aileana are definitely in my top 5 OTPs for sure. I loved seeing them try their best for each other. I loved seeing them declare their love for one another. Seeing Kia act more human and seeing Aileana finally admit to her feelings...this was everything...That ending made this whole book WORTH IT!

Sorcha is wicked woman to the core, but being able to see into her thoughts and mind allowed me to feel for her a bit. Especially that ending...I actually cried. Derrick...I have no words for that -- I cried, I truly did. I love me some Derrick aka my male tinkerbell. Aithinne is hilarious through and through. I simply love her and would totally enlist her as a relative. The humor she brings is just so heartfelt and heartwarming. Love it! The Morrigan is just as much of an ass as her sister the Cailleach. Twisted to the core.

That ending...PERFECTION! I loved this series so much.

Have you read this book?