Book Review | The Rose and the Dagger by Renée Ahdieh

Title: The Rose and the Dagger

Author: Renée Ahdieh

Series: The Wrath and the Dawn #2

Age: Young Adult

Genres: High Fantasy, Romance

Publication Date: April 26, 2016

Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Source: eBook

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Play Store | iBooks 

Synopsis: 
I am surrounded on all sides by a desert. A guest, in a prison of sand and sun. My family is here. And I do not know whom I can trust.
In a land on the brink of war, Shahrzad has been torn from the love of her husband Khalid, the Caliph of Khorasan. She once believed him a monster, but his secrets revealed a man tormented by guilt and a powerful curse—one that might keep them apart forever. Reunited with her family, who have taken refuge with enemies of Khalid, and Tariq, her childhood sweetheart, she should be happy. But Tariq now commands forces set on destroying Khalid's empire. Shahrzad is almost a prisoner caught between loyalties to people she loves. But she refuses to be a pawn and devises a plan.

While her father, Jahandar, continues to play with magical forces he doesn't yet understand, Shahrzad tries to uncover powers that may lie dormant within her. With the help of a tattered old carpet and a tempestuous but sage young man, Shahrzad will attempt to break the curse and reunite with her one true love.

My Rating: 

My Thoughts:
I just die! Literally, ten times over, I die. Renee Ahdieh has worked her way to the top for me this year. I mean this duology gave me so much life. It gave me laughter, tears, anger, disappointment and straight joy. I haven't read a duology in a while and this just had me drooling. I so wish there was a third book, but I am ever so happy with how things ended.

Shazi is a beast. That's all I have to say. She is still a firecracker, especially now that her love for Khalid is out. She doesn't hold back and walks straight into danger to ensure that her people and her king/husband are safe. Shazi is absolutely amazing. I loved the moments she had in her dreams with Shiva -- that was simply amazing. Shazi is an amazing women and one hell of a queen.

Khalid, oh my heart, he is simply amazing. I still love him to the moon and back. I mean he is hot tempered and quiet, but his love is boundless. He is a strong man with all that he endured in his life with his father and uncle. I mean his uncle was hideous and Khalid dealt with him such a manner that only a real man could. Khalid was broken down emotionally and built up with love on his side. I love him!!

The romance just slays me. Yes, I love everything about Khalid and Shazi and how they work. They love one another that they'd literally take an arrow for each other. They continously prove to each other that no matter how different they are and what has been done, they would go to hell and back to be together. The way they found help with Khalid's curse was amazing. Absolutely perfect!!!

Tariq is one character I absolutely hated from the start. He seemed like a guy that scorned and wanted revenge for a love that died. I hated everything about him and especially after what he did to Shazi in this book. I wanted him dead. However, those last few chapters I found that he redeemed himself seriously. I still feel like Khalid should have punched him once or even five times for what he did to Shazi. As for his friend Rahim -- I shed a few tears because I didn't expect it all to end the way it did for him.

Sultan Salim, Khalid's uncle, is a bastard in every sense to me. What type of man hates his nephew with such a vengeance? I hated that man and can't believe Khalid let him live. He should at least ripped off an arm or so, just saying.

Despina pissed me off, but when everything came to light I loved her once more. I was super happy for her and Jalal. They were perfect together. Shazi's father is a disgusting man. The only thing I liked about him was what he did towards the end after seeing Shazi cry. Irsa, Shazi's sister, is absolutely cute. I'm sad she wasn't with Rahim at the end, but she is a smart and brilliant girl just like her big sis Shazi.

That ending gave me too many emotions. My heart was gutted by what Shazi's dad did. I mean I literally felt like I blinked to quickly because of how things moved. I wanted to jump through the pages and stab him in the heart, but reading the epilogue my heart was saved and calmed. I loved it all!

I recommend this to all YA lovers. It is a beautiful retelling of A Thousand and One Nights with such amazing characters, plot twists and kingdoms. Amazing from start to finish!

Have you read this book?