Book Review | Legend by Marie Lu

Title: Legend

Author: Marie Lu

Series: Legend #1

Genres: Dystopian, Romance

Publication/Year: Putnam Juvenile • 2011

Page Numbers: 305

Format: Hardcover

Synopsis from Goodreads: 
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets. 

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills. 
My Rating: ★★★★

Quote(s) I Like:
"Money and one less mouth to feed? What a thoughtful government." - Day

"And if I feel like my afternoon drills aren't teaching me enough about how to climb walls while carrying weapons, then . . . well, it wasn't my fauly I had to scale the side of a nineteen-story building with a XM-621 gun strapped to my back. It was self-improvement for the sake of my country." - June


My Thoughts:
Gave this a 4.5 stars.

Marie Lu has wowed me with the first book in her series. I was blown away by the world and the characters. She created a true dystopian world that sucked me and made me feel like one of the characters. This was filled with so much action, romance and deception.

This was a fast paced book even though it started off a bit slow. The adventure was simply enticing and left me wanting more. The writing style was marvelous. The two POV's worked out amazingly because they meshed. No matter how one characters view ended the next character picked up from that view in their own perspective.

The story follows June, a prodigy of the military, and Day, the most wanted criminal in the Republic. June is "hired" to find and kill Day under false pretense, but in the end she finds out the truth about Day, the lies and much more.

Along the way, as the story progresses, people are killed, lied to, truths are revealed and pain is used as a weapon against the true enemy...the Republic.

I absolutely loved Day and June. They were so fun to read. The development between Day and June was amazing. I mean how they disliked one another but grew to love each other was great. Their age, fifteen, did concern me at some points because they just seemed too mature for their age, but it was still great to read nonetheless.

I definitely need to continue on with this trilogy and find out what happens next for Day and June!

Have you read this book?