Book Review | Angelfall by Susan Ee


Title: Angelfall

Author: Susan Ee

Series: Penryn & the End of Days, #1

Genres: Dystopia, Paranormal, Young Adults

Publication & Year: Feral Dreams • 2011

Page Number: 255

Synopsis From Goodreads:
"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

Recommended for ages 16 and up.
"
My Rating★★★★

Quotes I Like:
"Oh. My. God. You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I'll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That's what you are." - Penryn

"When you're small enough to look up at everyone around you, there's no such thing as a dirty fight. That's a new motto for me." - Penryn

My Thoughts:
For my first dystopian novel ever I was not disappointed, but I will admit I was a bit freaked out. I am a huge fan of Penryn, Raffe and Paige! Not quite fond of their crazy mother much. Love that Penryn saved her little sister, I'm happy that Raffe some wings even though they weren't his and I'm even happier to know that he did have feelings for Penryn despite their different "beings" and "worlds." Shocked that Paige survived her experience, shows how strong she is even though she's only seven and was crippled. Loved it! Even though it is an outstanding book, I wish there was more action, more conversation and more Penryn & Raffe time instead of long winded description of everything. I found that I had to flip pass and skim through a few pages out of boredom. I thoroughly enjoyed the story though.

- Spoiler Alert -
Okay so first off, Penryn is bold as hell to stand up against five angels, but what cracked me up is when she noticed that they were all shirtless and muscular. Great thing to think about when one is on the verge of possibly dying. Her bold move to help Raffe was great, but the angels taking her sister was mean as hell. I wanted to jump through the story and shoot him down for that. Poor Paige.

That fight she had with Boden (I believe that's his name) at the resistance camp was crazy. Guess all those lessons her mom paid for worked out for the best. But when Dee and Dum wanted her to have a cat fight with Anita just for entertainment I couldn't help but laugh. Such characters those twins are.

Scorpion angels? Demon children? What the hell was going on with that? That freaked me out. Children that are demons and cannibals. No way in hell I'd be okay with that. Either I'm running for my life or I'll die trying to get away.

Lastly, I love Paige's "ending" and how she was still alive despite being cut open and messed with internally. I mean she was still alive and well -- and she wasn't even cripple anymore. That was quite an exciting deed. The fact that she devoured that angel to protect Penryn and then made sure Penryn got on that truck despite what Obi said showed that she was every bit still little old Paige and not a psychotic demon child. Paige definitely was a trooper until Penryn got there to save her.

I am so ready to read World After and see what happens next for Penryn. Hopefully Raffe comes back and they can build further on a relationship...

Have you read this novel? What are your thoughts?