Book Review | The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter

Title: The Darkest Night

Author: Gena Showalter

Series: Lords of the Underworld #1

Age: Adult

Genres: Paranormal Romance

Publication Date: May 1st, 2008

Publisher: HQN Books

Page Numbers: 275

Format: E-Book

Source: Purchased on Amazon

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | Kobo | iBooks

Synopsis: 
His powers - Inhuman...

His passion - Beyond immortal...
 


All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member -- a man trapped in a hell of his own.

Neither can resist the instant hunger than calms their torments... and ignites an irresistible passion. But every heated touch and burning kiss will edge them closer to destruction -- and a soul-shattering test of love...
Though they carry an eternal curse, the Lords of the Underworld are irresistibly seductive -- and unimaginably powerful...

Don’t miss this incredible new paranormal series from Gena Showalter! 

My Rating: ★★★★★ 

Opening

Every night death came, slowly, painfully, and every morning Maddox awoke in bed, knowing he'd have to die again later. That was his greatest curse and his eternal punishment.

Quotes I Like

"They kept an abundant supply of mattresses, sheets, chains and metal headboards in one of the bedrooms next door. Just in case."

"No guns. He and Violence were in agreement about one thing -- enemies needed to die up close and personal."

 "I don't like it, but I won't protest and I guess this means I'm going into town without my vitamin D injection." - Paris, keeper of Promiscuity

"You are mine, woman, and I am yours. Until you, my life was desolate. I existed, but I didn't truly live. Now I live, even in my death." - Maddox, keeper of Violence

My Thoughts

Gena is simply brilliant. I loved this novel! Such an amazing insight on demons and sins. I loved the idea of warriors for the gods having a demon inside of them. Makes for an interesting cast of characters. She speared no evil, literally. The Darkest Night is the first book in the Lords of the Underworld series and I am highly intrigued to continue on.

In this first book, Violence (Maddox), Wrath (Aeron), Death (Lucien), Pain (Reyes), Promiscuity (Paris) and Disease (Torin) are met. Also got a glimpse of Doubt (Sabin), Misery (Cameo), Lies (Gideon), Disaster (Kane) and Defeat (Strider). I've enjoyed learning about them all. It was sad learning that Distrust (Baden) was killed by Hunters, but somehow the demon itself escaped in search of a new host…leads for an interesting novel.

The Darkest Night is about the keeper of Violence, Maddox, and a naïve young lady, Ashlyn Darrow. Maddox is cursed two-fold by the gods. Not only is he the keeper of Violence, but every night he is to die at midnight the same death he bestowed unto Pandora. He goes to hell and then returns. That alone made me cringe. I didn't find Maddox to be an evil guy. Granted he was stuck with Violence, but he learned to control it and stayed more man than "beast".

Ashlyn Darrow was an interesting character. She was shy, yet feisty. She was never afraid of Maddox even when she should have been. When she began to talk about her work at the institute I became very weary of their existence. I felt like she should have asked more questions about her work and the things they did -- but to each its own. Her special ability was mind-blowing. I wonder how she obtained it…

Their meeting was not by chance. I believe fate put them together. The way Ashlyn not only balanced out Maddox, but Violence as well was key. Both agreed to protect and love her and for Violence that was unknown…he always wanted to kill. I love how their relationship blossomed into something so beautiful that self-sacrifice allowed them to free.

The damn institute pissed me off! All the lies they told Ashlyn irked me. I can't believe how desperate and evil they were to her. They gave her false realities. I cant believe that McIntosh could do that to her, especially after taking her in under his wing…just insane.

This box created from Kadence, goddess of oppression's bones is still out there (read The Darkest Fire). I thought it was destroyed, but to know it's still out there and can re-trap the demons and in essence kill the warriors is scary. I hope they find it before the Hunters do.

Let me just state -- I'm totally loving Torin and how sweet he is. I don't think he deserved to be the keeper of Disease, those gods are brutal!

I loved that ending and all I can say is perfection! Currently reading The Darkest Kiss!

Have you read this book?